This year, however, the break has done its work and I have sewing ambitions out the wah-zoo. (Is there a proper spelling for wah-zoo?)
They are as follows:
- Redo my Rapunzel bodice - The first one was a major endeavor in pattern alteration, and I'm very proud of everything I learned and how well it turned out. But there are several things that could be better that are starting to get to me. I didn't get the sleeves right and they could be a lot more comfortable. Some of the grommets on the front lacing weren't punched well enough and they're starting to fray the satin despite my reinforcement. In fact, I think this time I'm going to forgo the whole "realistic" approach of really lacing it up the front every time and just have fake lacing with a secret zipper on the side. My friend Rachel advised me to do this from the beginning, but I wanted to be all purist. Also, zippers scared me a little more two years ago than they do now. Plus, since I had to buy the fabric in bulk, I have plenty to spare!!
- Make a better Rapunzel wig - The one pictured above is starting to get really scraggly, which, truth be told I could probably fix, but I have an inherent problem when it comes to any kind of wig: Too much real hair. And since I won't cut my real hair, any costume wig I wear is tricky to fit and irritating to keep in place. Add to that the weight of the long braid, and by the end of a day of con-going I want to fry the dumb thing in the frying pan I'm also lugging around. (It's always worth it, but the enjoyment does start to incrementally diminish as the day goes on). I noticed that the Disney parks Rapunzel's wig actually comes in separate pieces. One short, shoulder length headpiece and the braid, which attach at the shoulder in such away that makes it look like it's draped over her shoulder. I'd like to experiment with something like that. Again, to make my Rapunzel costume better quality AND better comfort.
- Make pillows - Even with the 2nd Rapunzel bodice, I am swimming in extra yards of purple brocade in two different shades. It's a long story. However, it just so happens that the purples correspond with some of the color schemes in our house so I would like to try my hand at making some basic square throw pillows out of it. This would also force me to try out the "piping made easy" feature of my serger.
- Make at least one article of street clothing - I've been sewing for four years now and have yet to make a single article of clothing I can wear out in real life. And I keep saying I'll do it. So... consider it resolved.
And my biggest, most time-consuming goal of the year will be... (*drumroll*):
- Make a Sif warrior costume from Thor: The Dark World. (Link to photo) -I'm really excited about this challenge. The deadline will, of course, be Dragon Con (Labor Day weekend). I love this costume because it is tough but also very feminine. There's a skirt! I get to expand my skill set a little bit and learn about costume armor. I've been slowly collecting tips and techniques and pinning them to my Sif Pinterest Board.
So that should keep me busy for the year. My working plan is to do a little bit of sewing every Saturday, which is a good form of light activity, another thing I'm trying to do more of this year (Handy!).
Today I got a start on my sewing year by putting away my Christmas tree, (which shares the same space as my workstation) and reorganizing all my tools and supplies. It feels really good to have that done. Makes me excited to get started!
Next week I'll start on the new Rapunzel bodice, since I already have all the stuff I need and it saves me having to spend money on supplies or worse, having to go outside to get there (shudder). It's shaping up to be a very cold, snowy winter!